Monday, April 3, 2023

The Bookclub

#AtoZChallenge 2023

 Okay this might prove too hard for this lazy writer to do it justice 

First I need to tell you that I have asked 2 of the original ladies’s permission to share this with y’all - I must admit I did not mention it to our virtual member in another state- honestly I haven’t told her about some of our more colorful moments- I didn’t want to scare her away- but knowing her she would probably think it’s all a hoot!

Well I hope from my title- you have made the correct assumption that I’m referring to a bookclub

Now this is where the hard part comes in- I know there’s a good story in here but I might stop short in the middle of it- as that is when I get kinda worn out- in the details

I was sharing my blog idea with one of my sons the other day- oh and before I forget- he said- “what blog- I’ve never heard you say you wrote a blog”

Anyway I tell him about the bookclub idea for letter B - after I finish a rough draft of what would likely be in this post- he says “ okay let me get this straight- you basically said that you have a bookclub but one of your friends goes back and forth as to whether she is a member”

Did sound a little empty 

When this all started- the friend who has yet to read the 3 books that we have selected- - had to have us read  her choice first- I was sorta reluctant because I thought it would be too sad- but I ended up enjoying it on audio- it was called American Dirt

There were a few misunderstandings along the bookclub journey- one of which involved one of the other members asking me to join her at a temporary library bookclub- it was about mysteries as I recall

Well we didn’t exactly invite the non reader at that time to participate because she wasn’t participating in our 3 people at that time bookclub- and she is not an early riser- this meeting was in the middle of the day

We only went to one meeting- but it was so strange- I hardly ever go anywhere anymore- especially at that time around a group of people- but that day during the meeting- I got a text from my daughter and then proceeded to announce to the group that the queen had died

Well we read (2 of us anyway) another book and then we just sorta fizzled out for a bit

Recently the friend who had actually started the bookclub - asked if I would like to read a certain book- we mentioned it to our other friend- she was a little hesitant but said she would come to the meeting but didn’t want to read the book 

Hmmm I just read what I have written so far- I’m pretty sure my son was correct- this is like much to do about nothing! But I’m not quitting 

When I asked the friend who I had had a few issues with along the way- if it was alright that I planned to write about the bookclub- she says- “why are you asking me- I’m not in the bookclub”

What- okay I tell her- no problem I can surely think of another B word

4 comments:

  1. I got a chuckle with the last line. Your book club(s) sound more real than the premise of most. It is hard to get to all books and----. I would enjoy listening in on a bookclub. I never feel educated enough to discuss a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy it made you chuckle!!! And I know what you mean! I’m almost getting ready to read the cliff notes on the one we are reading now— almost!

      Delete
  2. Looks like the first rule of book club is don't talk about book club!

    ReplyDelete