Friday, April 16, 2021

Notes to one’s self

 When Frank and I were dating - on our first Christmas together- one of the gifts I gave him was “notes to Myself “ by Hugh Prather- it was first published in 1970 and continues to print to this day

The first Father’s Day after Frank died- was only a week after his funeral 

I wanted to give my boys something special- something that would be about their dad- I sent them both a copy of “ notes to myself “

I have to admit that I didn’t remember too much about the book and I really don’t know if Frank ever read it- or if he had told me about this book or I had completely picked it out on my own 

I’d always remembered it fondly and imagined it was full of very timely- seventies advice and culture of that time

It wasn’t until recently that I actually read some of this book 

It got me to thinking of what notes to myself I would jot down- what words of advice and wisdom I would like to pass on

A couple of years ago I started to write a kinda letter to my children- it seemed it was going to be earth shattering and full of secrets I had learned on my journey thus far

When I read through what I had shared- it was pretty much - go for your dreams and always remember I love you- not the mysterious insights I had told myself I was full of

So as I took a new- maybe first time look at the book I gave Frank all those years ago- I once again had that yearning to give it another try- a new start at sharing something lasting 

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book. I will check it out. Another blogging friend whose mom recently passed was thankful for the diaries/journals her mom had kept since the 1990s. She welcomed the writings of her mom with advice, answers to prayer, visions she had, etc. I thought at the time I needed to start such a journal, but have I? Of course not! I hope you do!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to profound. If I wrote the book it would be similar with the "up and at em" message. But you should pursue the letters. Even today, I think back at so many things my parents shared with me. So much was good wisdom not earth shattering change your life quotes.

    ReplyDelete