Monday, April 19, 2021

People Pleasers

 I think I used to be way more of a people pleaser

There is lots of discussion on why people are pleasers or not- I think some do it because they truly put others before themselves but I would venture to guess that the majority of people pleasers do so for one of two primary reasons

First it is the obvious one- they want to be liked

And my second opinion is a little different than the first one but closely related- they don’t think they are worthy of love or greatly fear not being accepted 

To me the subtle difference is the first one likes to build on a pretty good opinion of themselves- wanting to keep it that way- the second- a deeper unhealthy view of themselves 

I learned long ago to say no- and I’m not sure that’s entirely a good thing

It is definitely necessary at times but can lead into a selfish disposition 

In the Bible it speaks of being rebuked is better than flattery 

- now that’s when it’s extremely hard for me to not be a people pleaser- because most always I would never purposely hurt someone’s feelings or make them feel awkward or embarrassed 

So I guess I could be a tad more of a people pleaser in that way 

I think our desire to fit in certainly lessens with age and hopefully wisdom 

Honestly the world would be a harsher place without all of those pleasant people pleasers

5 comments:

  1. I'm a people pleaser and I think there is two more reasons. It is a good social skill. You have a lot of empathy for people. My vice is a give money to panhandlers. I try to size them up. If I see them regular oh heck my system is I go with my gut. And there are a few who I immediately know are grifters.
    I do think there is a huge line you don't cross and that is when your generosity hurts you or your family. It's also important to not be used, the sort of person who uses you is not worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that our desire to fit in does certainly lessen with age and wisdom. I'm not sure if I am a people pleaser or I just keep my mouth shut rather than stir up dissension or trouble. This is thought provoking and I need to do some more thinking if I am one or not, lol :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy you found it thought provoking- thanks Betty 😍

      Delete
  3. I am less of a people pleaser than I once was, but I am still a peacemaker and in general dislike conflict or upset people. As you get older you learn some people enjoy that though, and you adjust.

    ReplyDelete