Monday, April 8, 2024

Gossip or news?

#AtoZChallenge 2024

 The Bible is pretty harsh about gossip- and actually I didn’t research its stance on it before writing today- but I’m sure it’s right up there- maybe even akin to witchcraft- or that is rebellion I think-please don’t quote me- 

But I think I should admit that I do enjoy it from time to time- but wait-

I have a good friend - when we skirt around what may be gossip- we now say- I’ve got some news of the day!

That way of looking at it comes from a long time ago- my daddy- who grew up in a rural part of Virginia- had no tv or phone- for quite some time! I remember him telling me how after supper he and his mama and dad and younger brother would drive a couple of miles down to his aunt Minnie and uncle Ed’s house - she was my grandmother’s older sister- aunt Minnie would always have cake ready and a big glass of cold milk for my daddy and his brother- my uncle Elwin-

There they would discuss each other’s and other others news of the day- my goodness it was never considered gossip-

So now my friend and I feel a bit vindicated when we pass on some interesting tidbit of the day- we kinda feel like we are preserving a gentler time- now if only we had aunt Minnie’s cake- we could be sure there was no gossip- as it surely helped the news of the day - go down just a little sweeter-

8 comments:

  1. I like calling it the news of the day, sounds much better than gossip. I have to admit I have a real weakness for gossip, just because I find people so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that too- people are very interesting! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynn, homemade cake and a good bit of "news" is what it's all about. Those were indeed gentler times - and they need preserving.

    With smiles, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that’s right-they do need to keep going on!- thanks for reading 🥰

      Delete
  3. Is it really gossip if:
    1. it's true
    2. the person isn't going to brag on themselves
    3. there's nothing mean-spirited in it
    4. you have cake
    I think not. Most newspaper in those days told about what people did on their vacation or the weekend, or what they bought. Those old papers were fun to read.
    So I say, let's have some cake and get the news taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me feel a bit better. I am not so much a gossip but I do enjoy hearing what is going on with people. So I have a weakness with gossip too. I have noticed some are a bit malicious with gossip and those same people have often had humiliating experiences too. So I can see where it may be a little frustration, anger focused.
    Oh well, loose lips sink ships. I can say I am not much of a deliverer of gossip. As I told a co-worker, if I know about it, everyone knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y’all are making me laugh- such good points- loving all the sense of humor!

      Delete