Thursday, April 2, 2020

The blackberry cobbler



I’ve mentioned my grandmother’s blackberry cobbler before — it’s calling to me this morning

It’s not just the wonderful deliciousness of it but the feelings and memories it evokes

My grandmother’s cobbler was accompanied by a creamy warm lemon sauce- mostly I enjoyed it by itself
On a clear look back I really have to say it was not my favorite dessert my grandmother made
But one that captures the essence of that sweet time in my life

I’ve never made it myself but have tried to recapture it’s moments through various frozen imposters and some rather good bakery attempts

Maybe if the bees are buzzing just right and the wind catches the allure of the honeysuckle

If uncle Elwin were there chewing on a toothpick while my boys were making that old porch swing creak

And if I could go back and was offered my choice of sweet endings to my dinner- perhaps I’d pick the blackberry cobbler over all the other cakes and pies - and when my grandmother asked about the lemon sauce I’d say oh yes please

4 comments:

  1. A lot of memories seem to be associated around food in our lives. That lemon sauce sounds delicious.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do! One of my cousins on my other side of my family just asked if I had the recipe- unfortunately I do not! Wish I had of asked

      Delete
  2. The blackberries here are blooming late but I'm sure they will be ready in middle May to early June. I picked many wild ones one year and carefully made jam. No one ate them. So now, I leave them to the birds and eat a few as I walk by. Funny you can never go back and recreate a recipe from the past. I have a feeling it is like going to your first grade classroom and seeing how all small it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my sister’s said the cobbler made her sick- kinda spoiled it haha!!
    I would have finished those blackberries for ya!!😍

    ReplyDelete