Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Letter - the letter

 A few months ago my sister Ruth had a strange phone call from a stranger 

The young woman said she had found a letter written to my grandmother- and a few other receipts and things - she said she had discovered them on my grandmother’s property- around and under her house- explaining that her boyfriend’s parents lived near by and that they were hiking and came upon her old house

After my sister told me about this call - I called this woman and told her I was quite disturbed at her contacting my sister and I wanted to know more

She assured me she wanted nothing and was just captivated by who my grandmother might be or who she had imagined her to be

Some of my grandmother’s letters and other correspondence had been thrown out recently- things that were at my parents’ home - the one we siblings were going through 

I thought she must have gotten a hold of some items from a trash can or other disposal place

So I proceeded to ask this odd young woman questions- pretending I had not seen the old place in a long time- most of her descriptions were spot on - a few were questionable 

She definitely had a keen interest in my grandmother and politely almost begged me to send her a picture of my grandmother 

She openly admitted to searching the obituaries for information to be able to contact my sister 

I never sent her a picture and have no plans to do so

A part of me remains skeptical but mostly I do believe it was just as she said- a curious heart and a desire to keep alive an old woman of a simpler time

4 comments:

  1. I'd wonder about identity theft in some way or another. It does seem odd and dropping it and having no further contact sounds like the best plan of action.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that’s exactly what I thought Betty!🙂

      Delete
  2. Dear Lynn, all I can do is echo Betty's caution. If this caller is not related to you, there's no reason she would be stalking more info from your sister. I've provided a couple old photos (Grampa had the only service station between here and Clarksburg) to the Center for Sacramento History). But that's a bit different. Be very careful, Lynn. Museum agent was an old friend and I trusted her. Please, be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree!!
      That’s sweet about your Grampa- and funny my father had a garage/gas station 😍

      Delete