Thursday, April 22, 2021

Snaps

 Probably better known as green beans 

When I think of snaps - I go back to my father’s mother- being on her front porch- she had this really large brown bag of snaps- most likely they were from her garden 

There was a big white enamel bowl that had a thin red rim- and another bag or bowl sat on the porch floor at our feet 

We would snap off the ends- toss them in the garbage bag- then snap the rest of the long beans into two pieces maybe three

Seems it was always hot and you could hear the crickets chirping and the bumblebees and  dragonflies buzzing around 

My grandmother wore an apron she had likely made and I had one she made especially for my sister and me

I’m not sure I remember doing this soothing chore with my own mother but I know she did the snaps the same way

My grandmother would put fat meat and bacon grease in hers and white potatoes- seemed like they were cooked for hours

I don’t do much snapping these days but I think I will at least once this summer 

I tend to use canned ones- adding beef bouillon and lots of butter-

But the sounds of those days  stay with me and the pictures it holds in my mind’s eye are like an impressionistic painting 

9 comments:

  1. Whenever I snap beans I always think of long ago memories of snapping them with my mom whenever she made them for dinner. I like how your grandmother made hers; anything with potatoes is always a good meal to have.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- I’m going to put potatoes in mine the next time 😍

      Delete
  2. Our neighbor across the street had snap green beans. I can remember going over to get some. Now when my wife grows them and they are ready for picking the smell takes me back 40 years to the neighbor's garden.
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side: 2021: The A to Z of Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool that y’all are growing your own!😍

      Delete
  3. We grow sugar snap peas every year. I usually just throw them into a stir fry or shrimp fried rice. I asked the husband if maybe this year we could grow something else in that space since our space is limited and he looked at me like I had lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, this bring back some wonderful memories involving my dear departed grandparents. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious memory. I have one about snaps as well. I was extraordinarily shy as a child, and it was really painful to be in crowds. Once at a large gathering, a compassionate adult rescued me and put me to work snapping the peas. Now I every time I do that as an adult, I think of little me and the huge bowl of peas.

    ReplyDelete