Friday, April 8, 2022

Golden years

 I’m sitting here pondering the expression golden years- as we reference it towards those up in age

And I wonder why it’s gotten that sparkly nickname 

While it’s true- that hopefully most aged people have gained much wisdom- I’m not too sure that the majority of old people would choose that title 

I ran into two older than me friends the other day- one of them told me that almost all of her friends were dead- I’m glad she has her friend she was with 

Of course poor health would surely be a reason for one not to identify with themselves being in their golden years 

Could it mean that like gold is refined by fire- our older selves are golden from life’s fires 

Truly I haven’t seen that much joy in the people I have been close to as they were in their golden years 

It’s true that if one retains their mind- they may be more aware of what matters and what does not- but I’m not convinced that that is all that comforting in general 

The golden years might mean they can more easily see the golden sights of heaven- 

As I muse about this issue- I find I truly hope there is something illuminating and shining in all our golden years 

4 comments:

  1. In Laura Ingalls Wilder's book These Happy Golden Years it chronicles her mid to late teens and her courtship and marriage to Almanzo Wilder. So the term Golden years hasn't always meant exclusively the final years of ones life. https://dave-homeschooldad.blogspot.com/2022/04/g-is-for-grief-griffey-and-geode.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool- I love her books!!
      I too have been a homeschool mom 😊

      Delete
  2. I looked up golden years for a definition and it said the years of retirement, usually after 65 years old. Maybe they refer it as the golden years since so many people look forward to retiring though I'm going to be 65 years old this year and I'm not ready to retire and enjoy those "golden years". Certainly if one was wealthy and in good health maybe they have great golden years. For me I think the golden years are the ones I raised my kids :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean- they were probably mine too ❤️

      Delete