Monday, April 11, 2022

Iron boards

 Probably there are lots of people that don’t even know what this almost antiquated monstrosity is or I dare say certainly don’t own one

I might have come on a bit too strong up there but definitely not as widely used in this century 

I was just thinking how telling the difference is- my parents last house they had built in the 60’s actually had a built in ironing board in the utility room and a small one above the regular size one/ as a child I thought it was put there for me but I believe it was for smaller items such as ties and handkerchiefs

My mother had an antique ironing board she lent me when Frank and I moved from the old Victorian house to a small one bedroom apartment 

I really don’t recall using it for ironing but did set it behind our lovely flowered loveseat- there I loaded it with gorgeous houseplants- 

As a child I had my own small ironing board- 

When we sold my parents house last year- I think I remember seeing it in the living room- the contents of the attic were assembled there for each of us to scrummage through and retrieve whatever childhood treasures we cared to take- you know I’m not certain I took it home- I’ll have to check my attic sometime 

There was a time that I really got into ironing- not sure what it was about it- seems like it was soothing- something about the steam and the sounds- the smells of the material reacting to the hot moisture- it didn’t last


4 comments:

  1. We do use iron boards even now in India. It feels good to own antique pieces isnt it?


    Good day - Dropping by from A to Z - https://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have mine but rarely use it but Robyn uses her steamer quite a bit! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I remember watching my mom ironing when I was growing up. She had befriended a family with a single mom. The grandmother was living with them to help out with the kids so the mom could work. My mom would go over and iron the clothes to help the family out and spend time with the grandmother as they were friends. She would sprinkle the clothes, roll them up and put them in the fridge til she was ready to iron them. I always thought that was so funny to do!

    I don't own an iron or an ironing board these days. I can't tell you the last time I actually ironed anything :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah and lots of people took in people’s laundry and irony- I don’t think anyone would pay me- my skills weren’t that great!

      Delete