Saturday, April 23, 2022

The Trailer

 Remember how I’ve shared the relatively few strong memories I have of actual events and days of my childhood 

Well I may have written of this particular one before- so excuse me if I have

I think this day must have begun my fascination with house trailers 

My mother and as I recall- my sister Martha and my brother Bland and myself were going to retrieve a friend’s belongings from her tiny trailer where she had been living- alone and lonely- she was our church choir leader- she had become very close to our family and was coming to live with us for the time being 

It was the middle of summer- there was no ac and only the minimal shade from the aluminum awning in the tiny trailer 

But I sat on the small built in hard as a rock sofa- peering out the window - it pretty much took up the whole end of the trailer- I could see it all- people washing their cars- children riding bikes - women hanging out their wet clothes 

The mini stove- the cozy feeling- I could live there- I remember thinking and wishing 

True as I recall now I may have written about this woman before- and I became to dislike  her and she  me

But that day I did like her and had so much excitement for what I thought would be a lark

I can still feel the dry heat in that almost airless small home- and the awe of it all- hence started my romanticizing love of the house trailer 

As I take another look back at that mesmerizing day—I can’t help but wonder at the months ahead - that lead to such unhappiness- and how I’m glad I was able to be blissfully unaware of the strained at best feelings that would follow 

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember reading about the trailer before or this woman. I had an aunt who lived in a trailer. I was amazed you could basically get a whole house in such a small space with a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. I could live in such a small space.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about prev posts so may not hav read about that woman..may be u can provide a link....living in trailers is such a unique concept...even if may be as no other option i think it is minimalistic living


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! And I was really into the tiny houses!!

    ReplyDelete