Saturday, April 25, 2015

Variety is not a spice but maybe it should be

how many of us cooks---ponder the question---what can I make for dinner tonight---and what can I have with it---

some of my go-tos are stocking up on sale soups---trying to keep a few different types of pasta---sauces of all kinds-----

I like to have on hand frozen vegetables and canned---canned beans and meats---and lots of packaged rice blends and potato mixes---and don't forget the instant potatoes---so handy in a pinch for so many dishes

it's nice to have some frozen fruit and canned as well

canned gravy can bring a lot of flavor and consistency to many bland meals or of course just as a garnish

like I have shared before---birds eye has some of the most unusual and affordable blends of vegetables---many with pasta or rice and beans----we really love them---

when you are stocking up on salad dressing---be sure and double up on your preferred flavors---as they make great marinates and sauces---I find typically they are much cheaper than a said marinate---

don't be afraid to try frozen shrimp---it can really jazz up your week---just don't cook it too long---it is almost always cooked already anyway---

stir-fry is a beautiful dish and is easily made with lots of frozen blends of your pick of veggies----add meat or not----any Asian sauce will work---my sister got me on to Korean teriyaki sauce---probably my favorite-


so tonight---go for it---try that new side dish you saw online----make your own subs----make it taco night-----whatever you do---spice it up---you know---Variety!



6 comments:

  1. I meal plan weekly so I know what we are going to have, but I do remember those days before I started meal planning, LOL, when I would be scrambling around trying to figure out what to make for dinner. It is good to have the variety like you said to have available for quick meals. I know these days I like to have dinner cooked in less than 30 minutes unless it is Saturday and Sunday when we have more time :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny I tend to make more sorta complicated dinners in the week and truthfully we rarely cook anything on the weekends-but I am still thinking about going back to those good old Sunday dinners :)

      Delete
  2. I love pasta salad and throw some frozen veggies, some pasta, and salad dressing and you are good to go. Add some cooked meat and cheese if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know Ruth -I love them too and there is an endless amount of options :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Lynn, I like to know what I'm cooking each week so I make a list of meals for each night of the week, and then shop the list! Saves me money and time and we get to eat a great variety of foods too.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to plan too Marie and yes I really enjoy having as much variety as I can :)

    ReplyDelete