Tuesday, April 2, 2019

B is for bread


When I think of bread I think of making bread-- not actually mind you- just the idea of it

How it would smell- the gooey moist feel of the dough- the mess in the kitchen
The kind of disorder that leaves you feeling that sense of accomplishment
That small bit of flour on your face

I had a friend some years ago-- we have since lost touch but he was always making his own bread-- we talked and planned about making some together one day-- it never happened

But the very clear picture of that day has not left me

He and Frank would be discussing biblical topics while equating it to the bread of life and so on

I would maybe be adorning an apron--
The tea kettle softly humming
Big sturdy mugs circling steam throughout our cozy kitchen
And when we sliced that first piece-- we would all sigh a collective mmmmm


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your visit. I love the smell of freshly baked bread but the only time I've ever made any it was the lazy way with a bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha me too Wendy- seems like it always came out kinda tough though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to help my mom make bread. Even in the 70's she made a couple of loaves weekly for a while because we ate so much bread. The smell was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had friends that made their's too- except for the bread maker bread the closest I got were quick breads-- i can just smell your yummy bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom and sister made bread at the holidays. It was always so delicious! I'm thankful I didn't get the baking gene as bread, pasta, and potatoes are my comfort foods.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh mine too Betty! I am seriously thinking of making bread maybe next week -- I don't think my mother ever baked bread- she cooked a lot 😊

    ReplyDelete