Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Flower Garden

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

Today's pick for f brought me back to a day when I was around 16 or 17

A couple of my friends and I had skipped part of school - we didn't really have any special plans but a last minute decision to stop by my grandmother's house proved to leave an indelible memory for me

We surprised her- as she spent much of her time alone-- visitors were always welcomed and she genuinely appreciated the unexpected if infrequent occurrences

She offered to make us something to eat- we refused-- as we definitely were not intending on staying long

As we were trying to leave-she insisted we take a look at her pretty flowers

My grandmother did not have a lot of beautiful things in her house and her tiny almost courtyard style of backyard was nothing fancy or partically inviting

She walked us around the perimeters - pointing out each flower- each one's name easily shared-- as she gestured she said these memorable words-- "study the colors"

We snickered at her enthusiasm

Many many times since that day I have thought of those words- and of the joy my grandmother took from her tiny flower garden

12 comments:

  1. That's a sweet memory. I think as we age, the little things become the big things. Taking time to notice them is a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right on both accounts- thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  2. We all should find joy in the little things as well as the big ones. Glad your grandmother enjoyed her flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- I definitely enjoy little things a lot more these days๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  3. I'm always impressed by those who have a gift for gardening. I've tried planting flowers to no avail. I've done a little better with hot peppers and cucumbers but they don't require much care. That's been my gardening downfall--I don't take the time and care to do it right.

    Your grandmother sounds like a pretty cool person who I wish I could visit. I don't know how many times I squandered my opportunities when I was young to learn from someone older than me. Payback time now because I find younger folks kind of patronizing me until they can move on to their own interests. Now I've been trying to spend more time with friends of mine who are in their nineties. Maybe if I make it that far someone will do the same for me.

    Nice memory.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean- it's hard getting older!- one of my son's does a lot of raised bed planting- his favorites are his peppers- thanks for stopping by ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you and your friends took the time to check out her garden especially since it made such an impression on you. Great memory for you to have!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Betty i have so often gone back to that day -- i guess it was one of those divine appointments ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  5. Awww, I love it. "Study the colors." What a wise lady! :)

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She really was wise-- she was also a nurse- which was kinda a big thing in her day๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful memory. Parents and grand parents never really know what memories they are planting in their children. Glad this memory bloomed here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she would smile at this memory -- great pun btw๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete