Friday, April 26, 2019

Wisdom

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

We all desire wisdom- insight-- pearls of it - words of it and years to gain it

Several years ago my daughter Robyn recorded much of a day with my dad-- listening to him tell stories and family orders as we took a day to drive him and mom around their childhood places

I wish we had done this with my mother before most of her mind was stolen by Alzheimer's

Mom had kept a story of sorts -- about some aspects of the family

But there are so many unanswered mysteries

As reseaching our ancestry I found out my grandmother had an older sister -- she died quite young-- I didn't remember hearing anything about her-- my dad doesn't know either- his mind now has the same thief as my mother

I've always thought I would make a documentary-- there have been many subjects I have contemplated tackling

One of them involved my church- basically picking those older members brains

Much of that population has left us and with their passing- the chance to gain their great wisdom

So if we are to be wise we must learn to listen and hear that invaluable wisdom that comes from living

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Sadly as we get older is when we want to learn more about our parents' past and then it gets too late and there are lots of unanswered questions. I know I have a lot of them and there is no one still alive that is able to answer them. And I know one day my kids will have questions and there won't be anyone that can answer them. It would be nice if we got that wisdom earlier in life.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- i sure wish i had asked more questions!

      Delete
  2. I wish we had done this with both our grandparents and parents....and I fear our grandkids aren't interested in hearing our histories in most cases. Sad...

    DB McNicol, author
    A to Z Microfiction: Wall

    ReplyDelete