Thursday, April 18, 2019

the Punishment

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

When my 2 oldest boys Dustin and Colin were about 11 and 12 they had a fun day planned with the neighbor boy

Their friend was a good friend to both of my boys-- his mom was taking them to play laser tag

My kids had chores -- that day Dustin had finished his with a flourish but Colin- well let's just say - he was a little less eager to get his small chore behind him

As he dawdled and dragged around I insisted that if he did not finish he would not be allowed to go with his friend

I wasn't always the greatest in the follow through of some punishments-- especially one that would deprive him of such a rare treat

All he had to do was dust the dining room- a very small room mind you

Well the time came for them to leave-- no Colin would not be going
Dustin and his friend enthusiastically left -and I'd like to think they didn't feel too bad for Colin- so they could enjoy their adventure

Colin did not cry or anything-- leaving me to agonize at my heartless decision

Colin is now in his late thirties-- I can't tell you the times this day has come back to my heart

One day it hit me!-- for some reason Colin did not want to go that day-- I would finally ask him -- he indeed said no he hadn't really cared about going

 Don't know if I believe him though- part of me thinks he just might have said that -knowing the guilt I was still carrying

6 comments:

  1. No I think he was right and didn't want to go for one reason or another. If he had wanted to, I'm sure he would have gotten that chore done or at least show some remorse when he couldn't go. Dump the guilt :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're funny- and most likely right-- anyway there's plenty more guilt to hang on to😍

      Delete
  2. Hey i am not able to comment on your blog-- enjoyed ypur quail post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, rehash decisions I made years ago re my children. But I have to agree with Betty-- I think your son probably didn't really want to go that day. You did him a favor! :)

    ReplyDelete