Monday, April 4, 2016

Caravatis

there's this place in our city that has all kinds of stuff from old houses and buildings---it's a warehouse set-up with a small sorta gift shop area----now it's been around since 1939 and somehow I only discovered it about 25 yrs ago-----

I love it---it is mostly unaffordable for me but over the years we have managed to purchase two front doors and a mantle at quite a bargain----

it's something about this place that comforts me and peaks my sense of nostalgia and mystic---

they have tons of stuff----doors---fence pieces----sometimes gorgeous huge stained glass windows from area churches----there are lots of old sinks and claw foot tubs----old stoves and pedestal sinks---and an endless array of doorknobs and other ornamental objects from homes and businesses--

in the winter you must wear your coat and be prepared to get hot in the summer----only the small shop has air or heat---

My daughter Robyn



My son Colin


 

 
 
Our mantle from Caravatis

13 comments:

  1. Lynn!!! I haven't stopped in in forever. I guess I didn't realize you were participating on the challenge this year. Great to see you! Oh, and I love all the pictures. Super awesome.

    C is for Cheese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Crystal- yeah this challenge is the first time I have blogged since the last as thing!

      Delete
  2. Now, that's a cool place. There are some shops in some Charlotte suburbs like that. They're a destination in themselves. Glad to have found you through the A to Z Challenge! - Eli@TechLife (#1234)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are- makes my day to visit there- hey thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I would love that place. Do you know what people around here do with clawfoot tubs? They stick them outside and plant flowers in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I have seen people use them for flowers- there's this restaurant that uses it for salad!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah I have seen people use them for flowers- there's this restaurant that uses it for salad!

      Delete
  4. Wow, seems like you could really find some pieces with an interesting story behind them! Maybe a cool setting for a story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how they restore things like this rather than dispose of them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most is salvaged but they restore beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most is salvaged but they restore beautifully

    ReplyDelete