Wednesday, April 27, 2016

the Whoopie cushions

A couple of years ago I found a bunch of "whoopie cushions" on clearance for 50 cents I think-- we were having a family get together that week so I picked enough up for the grandchildren-

Now I don't particularly find them amusing but I had a pretty good hunch the kids small and big ones might

They had such fun with those things - that I found myself laughing with abandonment as they plopped down on them

As a child you would not find a whoopie cushion in our house- I didn't think for a long time I was suppose to have gas- certainly not anything that could make that whoopie cushion noise

You see I never heard my mother pass gas or as she would say- "expel gas"-- and we better not refer to it in any other way either!

I didn't even know the f word- the other f word until I was grown

And as far as my daddy went- I had never heard him either- although I reasoned that he did- cause whenever we smelled something bad my mother would say "I reckon it's your daddy"

To this day if I am ever around my brother - especially in a church setting - he will turn to me with the straightest face and whisper to me - "did you expel gas"


8 comments:

  1. I won't pass gas in front of anyone, but sometimes my stomach makes that noise. You know the one? Sounds like it's growling. My husband comments on it and I get a little defensive, but there's nothing I can do about my stomach making that noise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have the worse stomach growls- everyone can hear mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have the worse stomach growls- everyone can hear mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL with expel gas! I like that one. Thing is its a perfectly natural body function and after surgery they want you to be able to pass flatus as they call it :)

    The whoopie cushion would be so much fun I think!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I know it's normal- didn't think that when I was a kid haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know it's normal- didn't think that when I was a kid haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our family it was "passing wind" and ladies never ever did so! LOL
    Carol at My Writing Journal

    ReplyDelete